"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, August 08, 2008

Drenched Garden

Not a lot of rain yesterday but last night or early this morning it rained hard enough to wake us up. Only one week into August, and already we've received a month's worth of rain...on top of all we had in July. Instead of our usual August drought, parts of the state are dealing with August flooding and mudslides and washed out roads and dangerous river currents. Unprecedented!

My garden at the Lodge is wet and oh, so green.

My first Cupani's Original sweet pea, the earliest grown in England (c. 1690's) is flowering. It likes cool weather but would prefer some sunshine.



Roses of the present: Tree rose on the big deck.



Roses of the future: The Cottage Rose, a David Austin production.



Roses of the past: Rugosa hips, of which I have an abundance this year. Perhaps I'll make rose hip jam.



My heather is about to bloom.



I've got a 40% discount coupon from Borders in hand and a parcel waiting at the Post Office. So I might venture out for the first time since Tuesday.

Unless I don't.


No comments: