"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Around and About

I'm truly grateful for the kind comments in response to my previous post. We are well here at the Lodge.

This morning the sun returned after a long absence. I took time to wander my gardens, which proved very interesting. A naughty deer visited in the night to chew the tops off some perennials as well as tender shoots off a few rose bushes. The damage could've been a lot worse.

I spotted the snowshoe hare hopping about the front yard, before I had my camera in hand. It was enormous! It's been quite a long time since a big brown bunny sighting. I'm happy for proof that it survived the winter and is still bouncing along.

Our feeders are busy with colourful birds--orioles, hummingbirds, rose-breasted grosbeaks, blue jays. The orioles have taught their bumbling baby where to come for food. The red-breasted nuthatch brood is constantly pecking at the suet cage, as are the young hairy woodpeckers.

My wisteria is looking quite lovely. I waited so many years for this plant to produce flowers, I never cease to cherish them!



My Therese Bugnet rugosa has already appeared as a Rose of the Day, but this specimen seemed worthy of a wider audience. My hand clasping the stem gives some perspective on how massive this blossom is.



When I drove off to begin my daily errands I saw the mallard family in the shallows of the little lake. I pulled over to take some pics. They retreated into the foliage.

They thought I couldn't see them.



It's a huge brood. Above you see Mama Mallard and six large ducklings. Papa Mallard and another duckling had headed out into deeper waters.

This duckling was laughing at me.



In Concord I dropped off an official Honorable MEP letter in support of funding for an Early Head Start Program in 2 of my district towns. Then to Manchester to test drive the car the Chap found for me while I was away. Back to Concord for my mandolin lesson.

Got home to find another condolence offering decorating the deck, a very attractive living plant arrangement, from the Chap's office. Yesterday his department colleagues sent one. People have been so kind about phone calls and notes. It really means a lot.

I've just now polished off final edits and the indexing of the cookbook, which goes to the printers at week's end.

I'm planning a trek to the lake cottage to resume novel-writing. And to catch up on sleep, something I've not had much of since about Wednesday.


No comments: