"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Home & Away



Rose of the Day: Stanwell Perpetual Another Scotch rose. It follows no definition of "perpetual" that I understand. It blooms once, rampantly, early in rose season, and that's it. It's low, twiggy, thorny--but when flowering I forget it's many deficiencies.

Left the lake cottage and arrived back at the Lodge on Tuesday, during a downpour. Had a mandolin lesson followed by a diocesan meeting. Yesterday the House met in the afternoon, to concur with the Senate on bills, or non-concur, or form committees of conference. Afterwards the majority office hosted a social--hotdogs on the grill, cookies and cupcakes, and a popcorn machine. On the way home I stopped at the BMW dealership to pick up a manual for the model I'm considering. We're closer to making a decision.

It's an action-packed day of packing, travel preparations, diocesan meeting, dinner with a friend, and checking into an airport hotel. I'm headed off to a historical novelists' conference and will be blogging from there I assume.

I'm leaving the Chap behind to monitor the hospital reports--a member of his family is having a difficult time. The situation is grim but stable. As of yesterday.

To cheer myself up last night I finished watching the DVD extras on the 2nd season disc of Extras. Laughter helps. The dull, chilly, rainy weather doesn't.

I've not cleared my imminent departure with the dogs, but we spending quality time together this morning. My late, great chum Edith used to take her ginormous Bernese Mountain Dog dog to conferences. Wish I could do the same, but it might be distracting--not only for me!


No comments: