"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Spawning

The dogs and I came up to the lake cottage a little while ago. Lots of errands along the way--P.O. to post my dad's Father's Day parcel, convenience store for hard cider and worms for my pet fish, the bank.

It's a gorgeous sunny day, air is pleasantly cool.

After our usual walk, immediately after arrival, we headed down to the dock. I needed to clean the water filter down at the pump and I wanted to throw a worm to Walter my fish.

Walter was busy. With Mrs. Walter. I caught them in the act--of spawning.

A very interesting process.

They swim very close together, around in a circle about 2 feet in a diameter, moving either clockwise or ante-clockwise.

This way...



...and that.



She sometimes would move down to the bottom, sort of on her side. She's the big speckled one.



Clearly he thinks she's hot.



I did throw out a worm, just to see if they'd be interested. (Looked to me like they're working up an appetite.) They didn't even notice it!

Yes, I'm a voyeur. I took many photographs. The dogs didn't notice, they were scavenging unripe blueberries low down on the bush.

I just went to check on Walter. He's by himself now. Evidently the missus doesn't stay after The Deed is done--love him and leave him. Now he just has me...and worms. And spawn to watch over until it hatches.


No comments: