"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Stroll

This is a combination of strolls. A little bit of rose garden strolling on Saturday, because I wasn't sure today's weather would be conducive, and again today both at the Lodge and at church.

Rose of the Day: Shailer's Provence. I usually describe this is as my favourite rose. (Warning: The phrase "my favourite rose" will often recur during Rose Season. It's a Boursault variety, dates from about 1796 (I think) and the enormous, taller-than-me plants began as a couple of fragile slips my mother rooted from her plant many years ago.

Here's what it looked like yesterday.



And this morning, in the rain. As usual, it is absolutely covered with buds and the blossoms are just opening.



The following rose photos are mostly from yesterday.

Quatre Saisons, the Four Seasons Rose, also known as Autumn Damask, possibly the most ancient of cultivated (not wild) roses. I'll probably have better photos later, but this was the first bloom to open.



The Bishop, which I seem to recall is a gallica rose, so named because it's colour is identical to that of a Bishop's purple shirt.



A species rose, similar to the dog rose (rosa canina) but with a larger flower. It's a volunteer, possibly Eglantine. I didn't mean to grow it, it found me. But it's a nice flower with that apple scent of English wild hedgerow roses.



Some of the flowers growing in the church garden.




Peony season--how appropriate that they decorated the altar!



Losing a father right before Father's Day is hard. As we left church the Chap was handed a big bouquet of altar peonies, now gracing our dining room.



A mourning dove takes a nap on the deck rail in the rain.



This is the first day of Summer although one couldn't guess it from the temperature. We're having so much rain that everything is lush and green, a nice (but dripping) backdrop for my rose gardens.

As always, thanks for stopping by, and if you'd like to follow other strolls go here!


No comments: