"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Stroll

Photos taken Saturday, posted Sunday. I expect to be indoors most of today doing church-y things on the Seacoast and diocesan-y things in Concord.

Rose of the Day: Apothecary Rose. It's official name is rosa gallica officinalis and it's another really, really old gallica. It's an enormous shrub that clings to the handrail of our deck steps and canes and flowers poke through the balusters in a very pretty fashion at this time of year.



Eden is a modern rose. This one isn't a good bloomer for me, but it's pretty and heavily scented so I'm glad when it does what it should do.



My mock orange is blooming. This isn't the scented variety I grew up with but for my birthday my mother scent me cuttings from hers--the one I did grow up with. They have rooted well, so perhaps someday I'll have the one I really want.



Flower arranging on the kitchen counter. I finally cut some lathyrus (perennial sweetpea, unscented). The flowers are sadly rainspotted so I took the best of them and some that haven't bloomed yet.



Yesterday I wore myself out with spring cleaning the upstairs of the house. Yes, I know spring is over. Yes, I know I'm ill. I thought it would be "light tidying" but it turned into heavy de-grotting. Hence not a lot of time outdoors except for a brief stroll. It was hot and so humid you could almost drink the air.

Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to continue strolling, go here.


No comments: