"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, February 01, 2008

Battening Down

Messy weather on the way later today...snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, harsh winds. Our parish Mardi Gras festival was cancelled--not a night to be out on the roadways.

After Wednesday's House session, I came home by way of our town library. When we built it--yes, I can say "we," because the Chap and I served on the building and capital campaign committee--we made sure to include lots of gallery space. An acquaintance from a neighbouring town, wife of a legislator in fact, is exhibiting this month, so I stopped in to view her work.

Her work in acrylics was all beautiful...woodlands, rivers, autumn views, ponds, bridges. I loved it all. No artist or photographer can resist Nubble Light, and I really liked her representation. The light and depth of colour really appeal to me...instead of the usual blazing hyper-blue sky background, this one is more muted.



There were definitely some paintings I would consider purchasing. It's always the case...but with a painter in the family who has provided us with multiple works in various media, plus original cover art paintings from some of my books, and a wealth of other artwork, the walls of the Lodge are hardly crying out for more decoration.

From time to time I do envision a new and different "hang" in some or all of our rooms. But I never develop the plan or put it into action.

Passing by the paperback spinner on my way out front door of the library, I spotted a very familiar book cover.



Nice to know my novels are still circulating. This particular one was published 10 years ago this week. I well remember that I spent the fortnight before Valentine's Day doing press and bookstore signings all over the Northeast. It's a point of pride that in the past decade, the book has been printed in a hardcover edition and translated into various foreign languages. Most recently, Russian. Having just received my 1099 MISC from my literary agency, it's nice to see that this backlist title continues to support me!

We had some excitement earlier this week when one of the Chap's longtime clients was awarded a new multi-city radio licence in Ireland. As usual, when receiving the good news, I chirped, "I wanna go to the launch party!" When the same client launched the Dublin station now known as Q-102, we were there for the big celebration, the sign-on at the station itself and the massive celebration in the evening.

In musical news...MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome) had its way with me. Yes, I succumbed. Already headed my way is the sweetest little vintage bowl-back (lute style) instrument with rosewood neck, mother-of-pearl inlay and ivory tuning nuts. Very little wear and tear. Not only that, I've struck up an email friendship with the seller, who attests to the fine qualities of her former possession. It was well within my price range, so I didn't violate my instructor's warning not to overspend on an older instrument.

Colour me blissful. Can't wait for it too arrive!


No comments: