"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 18, 2008

Snow Garden



Over the weekend I noticed this crop of snow stalagmites blooming outside a window.

They were carved by a drip from the rooftop far, far above.

Lots of dripping today. It's 52 degrees and rainy, and the entire Lodge is enveloped by evaporation fog. The Chap is enjoying his holiday. Dogs are slumbering all over the place. This morning I'm finishing my taxes--would've done it yesterday, but I decided to read a novel instead and am better for it. It's the second novel in a row set in the time of Charles I, thus out of the period about which I'm writing.

This afternoon, it's back to writing.

Ordered another two rose bushes. I believe that's an even dozen that will be added to the rose beds in springtime. Click-of-the-mouse retail therapy this weekend means hard and heavy labour in a couple of months' time, but it's all good. And good for me.


No comments: