"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 04, 2008

Incarcerated

I had to go to jail today.

I wasn't apprehended for exceeding the lawful limit of doggy photo/video blogposts. Not yet, anyway.

My brief incarceration in the county lock-up was all part of my legislative service. State Reps are also members of their county delegation and as such are assigned to subcommittees who review assigned departmental portions of the county budget. I serve on the Corrections Subcommittee, and today we met--at and in the jail--to review the proposed '08 budget. There were 7 of us reps, plus the Superintentant, Director of Operations (a constituent of mine), and the County Administrator.

Last year we met twice for budget discussions but today we worked through till noon-thirty so we wouldn't have to come back. Although nobody pointed it out, it does save the county some $$$ because we'll only have one day of per diem instead of two!

As we were departing, our subcommittee chair gave voice to our shared thoughts: "I'm always relieved when I step out into the sunshine, and hear that metal door slam behind me."

No kidding. It's a wonderful facility--new, state of the art, environmentally green. And like all such places, the population behind bars is spiraling. I'm glad I don't have to stay there for longer than a few hours at a time.

I'm always amused by the highway signage posted at the approach to our county complex, from each direction:



I didn't notice anybody thumbing for a ride. If I had done, I definitely wouldn't have stopped for them!

When I took the photo, the sun was in a really bad place but now that I see the result I rather like the washed-out, surreal quality. Looks like I tweaked the image but I didn't.


No comments: