"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Home Again

I'm safely back at the Lodge--miraculously.

The House session was utterly indescribable. With such low attendance, the margin required to pass anything was 2/3 of those present. After making some progress, we got bogged down with a contentious House Resolution that pitted the majority against the minority. On a normal day, it would've sailed through in accordance with the committee recommendation. But today, none of the many, many votes on the various committee or floor amendments or the bill, or motions to recommit or table or special order or _fill in the blank_ could get anywhere near that threshhold. We were at a complete and utter impasse until at last--after not even being able to adjourn or anything--we did pass a vote to refer for interim study, meaning it won't come back this session.

I can hardly wait to read the press accounts.

With much business to complete (a motion to special order remaining bills to a future session failed, the "third reading motion" also failed, unheard of) members began strategically and stealthily filtering out of the chamber. There came a quorum call--we'd fallen below the minimum to conduct business and the Speaker had to gavel us into recess.

The road flooding wasn't so bad on the way home. I almost made it, but the big hill was my downfall. Covered with rain-slicked ice. At I started up, I lost control and somehow managed to turn 360 degrees (without getting stuck in a snowbank) and get back down to the paved road. Turned around, tried again--same thing, a 360 spin. So I pulled over into a convenient lay-by created by the plow and abandoned my car.

I walked up through the rain, in the gathering darkness, up the slippery hill, and phoned the Chap to say I was on my way. It's the better part of a mile, up the hill and down and around the little lake. The tree branches were bending dangerously low, I stayed on the opposite side of the road from the power lines. The fallen hemlock branches made the air smell piney. That was the only pleasant aspect of the hike. As I reached the summit, a neighbour with 4WD came along and scooped me up and delivered me to the Lodge.

I've never been so glad to be warm and dry again. Never had such a trying day in the House--I do believe it was historic. It was the first day for our newest rep, who won a recent special election. I wonder if he'll ever come back!


No comments: