"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Stuck In a rut. Facing the Book. Booking the Face.

Another day of confinement, here at the Lodge where the snow falls intermittently and the canines have contracted narcolepsy. Perhaps it's the ideal curl-up-nose-to-tail-and-snooze weather making the young ones so sleepy. Lola has an excuse--at 15 years, her life is one long nap interspersed with meals.

Readin', writin', 'rithmetic (balanced my checkbook) doesn't make for interesting blogging. Good thing I've got an announcement. Or, as we say in the novelista business, A Big Reveal.

I'm now registered with Facebook.

Didn't see that one coming, did you? (Well, some of you actually did, because I've friended you already.)

It all started in January so I'm very new to this. Frankly, I haven't exactly worked out how it's supposed to fit into my extremely active and fulfilling online lifestyle. I mainly connect with other people via their blogs, so do I really need a social networking site? I haven't any books to promote at the moment...except to residents of Bratislava or Vladivostock.

But I'm a joiner. So join I did.

UK acquaintances have been F'booking for a while now. Not long after I signed up a real life friend friended me. So I started searching for more. Turns out that many people I know in real life--lots of writers--are on F'book. Bloggers, too. And at least one relative.

It also turns out that I'm terribly shy about friending people. Therefore I'm not allowed to have an inferiority complex about my tiny collection of friends. It's my own fault.

Consider this my global plea to all my blog visitors: If you're on Facebook, too, reach out! Or I will. (When I get over being so shy, that is.)



You can also tell me why and how you use Facebook, MySpace, whatever. Or whether you do use it. I really want to know!


No comments: