"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Right Place, Right Time



After a week like this one, I'm in the right place for relaxation, inspiration, recovery. Took that pic just moments ago.

What have I been up to? Been busy with the usual activities that have filled recent weeks. Attended another Finance Committee work session on a bill I co-sponsored. Mandolin lesson. Found myself featured in the huge and wonderful newspaper article about the cookbook project. (The reporter erroneously reported that I'm the author of 19 books--not yet! Unless I can count the ones in a state of incompletion. Depending how I count--fiction, nonfiction, novella--I can maybe make a case for 13.)

The House session on Wed. provided unexpected twists. I could get an entire novel out of the saga that is House Bill 436. Amendment language requested by the Governor as a requirement for his signature must now go to a Committee of Conference, stretching the suspense shadowing this bill's ulitmate fate for another fortnight.

I've got a chunk of cookbook galleys to proof.

My spouse departed for a foreign but not too distant country.

I spent today in Exeter, on a political junket to this location. I know--me, in a gun factory, a shooting range, and a security training centre? Well, yes. My committee had a field trip, and one of the best ever. We saw many amazing and impressive things. Practically all the Federal agencies that look out for us (Homeland Security, U.S. Air Marshals, Secret Service, and more) use weapons manufactured by Sig, and are trained there. I had a blast, though not literally. I was given a pistol to examine--one of my colleagues whipped out his phone cam and took my picture holding it. But we didn't do any shooting.

After a Power Point presentation, a tour of the factory, and some Q&A, we headed over to the Academy to tour the training centre and a drive by all the shooting ranges--here's one.



Some of the practice targets.



By the time I got home I was melting. Today's temperature was 92, and the AC in my Saab decided this week it would stop working. I predicted that the car would turn on me once I started car shopping in earnest, and I was correct. Once I got to the Lodge I showered, threw some necessities into the car, ditto the dogs, and made for the lake cottage. An early start to a holiday weekend. I brought work, as usual, but it never seems as onerous here, with the Bay spread out before me.

I'm starting to cool down. Gorgeous night. And the temperature, I hear, won't be so ghastly in the coming days.

I have to laugh when I remember that I fled on Sunday and didn't stay here longer because it was too damn cold! When I entered the house I recoiled at the sight of the space heater by my chair and the woollen blankets covering the bed! What a difference a few days make!


No comments: