"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Road Trip

Right after breakfast this morning the dogs and I drove down to the Lodge. A quick trip to pick up and bring back accumulated mail and newspapers (me), re-fill bird feeders (me), race around the back yard like maniacs (them), bark at neighbours walking along the little lake road (them), admire the gardens (me), and take advantage of the power shower (me).

One of the last remaining tulips is my favourite.



Graceful arch of bleeding heart.



Fringed bleeding heart.



Lilies of the field.



Lilies in my hand.



I have masses of lily of the valley. It would have taken me hours to pick them all--if I'd had hours, I probably would've done! However, I was satisfied with the bouquet you see above.

A flower with a very different aroma: chives.



The pink shrub whose name I never remember.



Viola.



Candytuft.



Always the first of my roses to bloom, Double Blush Burnet is ready to do her thing.



"If I pretend to be a rosebud, maybe she won't notice me...




...and I can make my escape!"




After reassuring myself that the garden was thriving without me, I had a quick cup of tea. Then we drove back to the cottage, through a rain shower. Very convenient, it washed most of the yellow-green pine pollen from my black car.

I brought that giant bouquet of lily-of-the-valley with me. Divided it in half and placed vases in the main sitting room and in the bedroom. The place smells heavenly!

The sunshine is back.

By leaving the Big Lake this morning, I thought we'd missed the inaugural voyage of the Big White Boat past our dock. Because of economic factors, the motorship company has cut the schedule.

But just now, as I typed this, I heard the chugging of the engines, and left the laptop long enough to capture this moment:



I appreciate your stopping by. To see who else is strolling today, head this way.


No comments: