"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saturday Dinner & Sunday Stroll

Confession: I ate a dessert for dinner last night, a Continental-style puff pancake. It bakes in the oven instead of cooking on the stovetop. Similar to Yorkshire pudding only sweet and not so dense. When baked, the inside consistency is a bit like bread pudding.

Anyway, I didn't have a recipe with me, except in my head. Plus I downsized it, because I wanted to cook a small puff in the tiny little iron skillet that lives here in the cottage.

Here's what it looks like when partly cooked:



After it was firmed up enough to support an addition, I broke up some Hershey bar chunks and placed them on top, to melt during the final stage of baking.



Once it came out of the oven it sank, as usual, and sank even more when plated. But it was delicious. I didn't feel at all decadent, it was a worthy reward for writing a lot yesterday, taking 2 long walks with the girls, and Rachel Alexandra's win in the Preakness.

This morning the girls and I took a brisk walk. It was no leisurely stroll, too raw and windy and cold for that. (At least the downpour had stopped.) After we returned I went down to the dock to take some photos.

Future blueberries:



Flowering tree:



Pine branch:



New maple leaves:



And on my way back up the hillside, the usual view.



Soon as I sat down here at my laptop desk to record the stroll, the Crow came to the suet feeder.



It's either a fish crow or an American crow. Not large enough and head too smooth to be a raven, although he's definitely big. He might be an immature raven, but I don't think so.



The activity at the feeders is very limited compared to the Lodge--only hummingbird and crow--but still interesting and entertaining.

We expect the Chap at any moment. He offered to start the furance for me--the temperatures may descend to the 30's tonight--but I'll probably return to the comforts of the Lodge.

Thanks for stopping by. As usual you'll find other strollers over here.


No comments: