"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Land of Lake

"What? You're eating breakfast before our walk to the Point? How long will that take?"



I reminded Jewel that when she woke me up at 6:00 a.m. I obligingly fed her and Ruth their breakfast. So they can just wait.

Even at that early hour, there were boats on the lake. It's the weekend of the Lake Winnipesaukee Fishing Derby, and the fishermen were headed up the Bay to register or to begin fishing. The Vice Chair of Fish & Game & Marine Resources wished them well, then returned to bed.

Once I was up and moving, I took a morning lake photo.



I had my breakfast on the porch. With the hummingbird.



Despite the yawn, this dog had plenty of rest. We didn't officially leave our beds till almost 9:30!



After I finished my yogurt and drank a cup of tea, we walked all the way to the top of the Point and back. Yesterday we had 2 walks, and today will probably be the same.

Remember the antique table/desk I purchased a fortnight ago? It's now installed. I played Goldilocks, trying to find just the right chair--this one matches and is the ideal height. Perfection!



So now I can sit here looking out at the lake and mountains and watching the hummingbird and suet feeders and listening to the warblers who rarely show themselves but make beautiful music.



I needed a break from projects and pending legislation and plumbers who don't show up when they're supposed to. And car shopping. (The leading contender, the Mercedes 4-Matic, was eclipsed in my affections by a BMW AWD. On Thursday I crawled inside and inspected one briefly; the Chap may test drive it for me today.)

I've got a novel to write, which is a peaceful endeavour, and an excellent one to re-read. And our Chap joins us tomorrow.

Hope your weekend is restful also.


No comments: