"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Tree Progress Project

Travelling westward to the Capitol City via I-393, I make a descent from The Heights to the lower-lying valley formed by the Merrimack River. In the distance, spread out before me, is a lovely vista of cityscape with the gold dome of the State House and numerous church spires.

There's a stand of trees on the lefthand/north side of the motorway, and the Chap and I follow the progress of springtime as they change. When one or the other of us has business in Concord, we enthuse about the state of these trees. "You should've seen the trees today!" is a regular refrain from April into May.

This year I used my camera to document the change. I assure you that I was extremely safety conscious when doing so, endangering neither myself nor other motorists despite taking photographs one-handed at 55 mph.

I'm quite pleased with the results.



APRIL 9


APRIL 23


APRIL 28


MAY 6


MAY 12



The final shot doesn't meet my exacting standards for focus, but I had to include it. Not sure when I'll be headed to town again on a bright, blue-sky day. Today is overcast and besides, my travels will take me to East Concord instead of downtown, meaning I leave the motorway at the exit just before the trees.


No comments: