"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Calming Day

The House is not in session today and I've no other meetings (unlike Monday, yesterday, tomorrow.)

I was outside in my garden before breakfast, re-planting oregano divisions close to the deck steps (and the kitchen, because I'm all the time getting lazier), mixing my own custom blend of container soil, potting up my newest fig tree. Then the blackflies woke up and spotted me and thought I looked tasty.

So I (reluctantly) came inside. Read the newspaper and listened to radio programmes and watched birds--for a couple of hours. Very therapeutic.

On Monday a newspaper reporter attended our cookbook committee meeting. There's going to be a big pre-publication feature in the Food section within the next couple of weeks. This is a different take on cookbooks.

Yesterday--Busy. In the morning presented testimony before the House Finance Committee on a bill I'm co-sponsoring. It's very complicated but it's related to the flooding and re-flooding along our river, and would enable a FEMA buyout of dwellings that have been destroyed 2 and 3 years in a row. It passed the Senate unanimously. Based on the questioning yesterday, I have no such hopes for the House. The hearing lasted 2 hours.

I bopped over to Diocesan House to review evaluation forms from Saturday's event (which involved 2 years of planning....) Then I had a mandolin lesson that was suprisingly good considering how little practice time I've carved out of my overly full schedule.

Early in the week the Chap, as usual, did our grocery shopping and came home with delicacies associated with the South and the North.

Monday night we had fried okra (ladyfingers, in Brit-speak), an approximation of a family recipe:



Last night we had fiddleheads, sauteed in olive oil and garlic:



And both nights, the girls were perplexed by our excitement at dining on odd-looking plant material!



Coming home yesterday, I discovered that the ducks on our lake have already reproduced.



I'm bound for the Big Lake in the near future. Although I've got lots of writing to do up there, I expect my surroundings to have the same soothing effect as this wonderful Wednesday.


No comments: