"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Contrast

A week ago today the high was 92 degrees. That's about 20 degrees above normal.

Today the so-called high was 47. That's about 25 degrees below normal.

Keeping the furnace on, sleeping in flannel jammies, and eating steaming bowls of chili for supper are normally winter habits.

Isn't it almost June?

I believe the weather is about to normal-up around here. I certainly hope so! But it must be said that my heavily budded roses are lapping up all the rain.

Spent the morning at the LOB, nursing along my co-sponsored bill. What we expected to happen, happened--the House Finance Committee retained the bill--and it's cool. There was also some intriguing related news on the Senate Budget front, possibly a cause for optimism. Before leaving, I saw the Chap. He was there for an update on ARRA (aka The Stimulus Package.) Our state is using stiumulus money to the max, we're like #10 of all the states in projects and allocations and stuff. Just last week (when it was 92 degrees) I drove over a highway being re-paved with ARRA money, and it saved a boatload of jobs from becoming layoffs at the paving company.

I test drove that BMW AWD today...in a downpour. The Ultimate Driving Machine indeed.

I really wonder if I can make it through the evening without a fire in the fireplace?


No comments: