"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Indoor Day

We returned to the Lodge yesterday around midday. In the afternoon I was in Concord for the continuation of the House Finance subcommittee session on the bill I co-sponsored. A decision was made--a reasonable one, in the circumstances--but the impact on one of my constituents (who was present) is devastating.

I can't imagine this happening in any other state: a member of our delegation whipped out his cellphone, rang the Governor's office, spoke briefly with an assistant. And then we all (3 Reps, 1 State Senator, 1 Police Chief, 3 constituents) crossed over from the LOB to the second floor of the State House to the Executive Council chamber. In five minutes the Governor joined us and sat down to listen to my constituent's exceedingly dire problem. By the time the interview was over, he had committed to making personal contact with out-of-state entities who might be able to alleviate her situation.

This legislative session has been trying at times. Tensions have arisen between the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch. But yesterday afternoon I could not have been more thankful for our representative, responsive, and very personal form of government.

Heading east along I-393, I always look over at the watery spot formed by the river where I often see a hawk flying overhead, or a blue heron fishing in the shallows. And I did spot blue herons standing there--five! Every one of them statue-still, and all facing the same direction. An amazing sight!

In the meantime, the Chap had arrived at the Boston airport and arrived home in the evening, after suppertime but before Rescue Me. He was quite pleased with his trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, and can now boast of having visited every single Canadian province. And, later in the summer, he's got a couple of trips to Montreal...I plan to tag along for one of them!

Today is rainy and chilly. Ruth realises it's an indoor day.



The lovely amaryllis given to me by our retired bishop is now blooming.



Jewel sees something!



It's the first lupine to bloom--earlier than usual.



Feels strange not having a House Session today--a good strange! I'm using the day for writing, visiting the hairdresser, doing laundry--and, at long last, having dinner with my husband!


No comments: